Friday 2 October 2015

Food challenge

From left to right, wefie of me, Debbie, Siew Kei, Liliana & out of picture Huei Hao
Today is our last group work for creative thinking.
Because it's our last group work, Ms Tan Ai Khim allowed us to form our own groups.
*Cue happy music and noises*

Me, Liliana, Debbie, Siew Kei and Huei Hao, formed a group of 5.

--------

Our objective is to open a restaurant, starting with the menu.
The menu must consist of appetizer, main course & dessert.
We also need to design a logo & name for the restaurant.

Sounds fun!

The challenge is that we only have 3 random ingredient available to use; a chef nightmare.
We are given a intended audience too, for example, kids, junkies, athletes, etc.

------------------


Ms Tan told every group to send one person to the front to do a lottery of the 3 ingredients & intended audience.

I went to the front, thrilled at the thought of what I will get.

Maybe something easy and interesting?

As I reached my destination, it was my turn to draw.
I hesitated for a short while; looking at the papers, hoping I can decipher what it is.

Heart beating in anticipation, I drew one.

"MARS BAR, APPLE, APRICOT JAM"I giggled, liking what I have gotten.
Feeling great, I drew the second.

"WEIGHT LOSS"

What.
That was my reaction. I had no idea what to do weight loss.

Maybe creating a dish that has 1 cm of a mars bar, apple, apricot jam can help with weight loss?
Or, since definition says "Fibre-rich", we can make the main dish just cut apples, like 1 kg of them.

My train of thought was broken when Ms Tan says that we are allowed to re-pick once.

Oh boy.

I called my group members over, discussed whether we should re-pick or stick with this.
They were just as lost as I was.

Siew Kei said to change the intended audience, and everyone agreed with it.

"Okay" I said.
 Intuition telling me that I shouldn't; feels like a bad idea.

Re-picking can't be too bad right?

........

"DIETING"

What.

----

What we random'd
I went back to my group, placed the lottery results on the table, and watched my group mates reactions.

Their reactions were hilarious.

Most comments went to the Mars bar. "Dieting people don't eat chocolate!"

Hey, at least we got apple, that's 100% diet-able.

Debbie writing everybody ideas on her writing pad

This is when the brainstorming starts.
The group discussion was lively; everyone was contributing and bantering.


Brainstorming results
  1. Appetizer: Apple slices served with melted chocolate & apricot jam.
  2. Main course: Mashed apple mixed with apricot jam, with melted & chunks of chocolate served with cold apple juice special beverage
  3. Dessert: Melted chocolate sticks skewered with apple coated with apricot jam

    Sketches for logo & food was done.

    We split work up based on what we have contributed in the brainstorming,

    Logo: Huei Hao
    Appetizer: Debbie
    Main Course: Siew Kei & Liliana
    Dessert: Me
--------------

Process of work


The making of logo
An apple tree is used as our main ingredient is apples.
Since dieting is the intended audience, the logo has a slim woman figure, replacing the trunk of the tree.

Logo is inspired from Starbucks cafe.

Everyone working hard
Everyone was quiet, as attention was put into work.

Pricing the items
Titling & touching up
We had to borrow markers from other groups because we do not have much colouring materials.
Thankfully, the group infront of us lend us what we needed.
Welcome to Apple Tree

Best dieting cafe you will find in Singapore.
Order our full course only at $32.70!
                     
                        GST not included.

Our menu
Please visit Apple tree!


And this concludes our activity for today, glad that we finished everything on time.

Next week we're going to present our cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment